We all may get anxious sometimes, however some people are more prone to anxiety. They become chronically anxious. The mind is often in a state of feeling fear about something vague or unclear. Anxiety can however be relieved to a great extent using simple remedies. The main objective is to provide relief and relaxation so that the condition of chronic anxiety can be relieved.
What is Anxiety ?
It is actually a mood, an emotion which emanates from the brain. It is often related to some responsibility, or premonition that the person experiences. In most cases, anxiety is normal. Like when you are going to fly for the first time, you may get anxious. However, recurring incidents of anxiety, especially when you know that there is hardly anything to be anxious about is a matter of concern. Such a condition is termed as Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD). It is caused when the person cannot control his or her vague feelings and falls prone to nervousness.
Mild anxiety can be overcome by relaxation and deep breathing. However, some people suffer from what is called an Anxiety Attack. It is an extended period of severe anxiety, enough to interplay with normal day to day activities. The biggest problem with anxiety is the effect it has on the confidence of a person.
It can lead to heavy, fast breathing, dizzy vision, restlessness, sweaty palms and feet besides the feelings of anxiety, worry and fear.
( Photo Courtesy: hollylay )
Home remedies for an anxiety attack. Anxiety is really complicated disorder. But you can deal with anxiety by making use of certain natural substances, which are meant for this condition. These are some remedies which can relieve an anxiety attack.
1. Chamomile tea ( best home remedy for anxiety )
People in ancient times used chamomile to calm the body and especially the mind. Taking chamomile tea is in fact one of the best home remedies for anxiety. It helps one to sleep well and also helps with panic attacks or anxiety attacks. Chamomile contains a substance called apigenin , which is one of the finest anxiolytics ( anxiety reducer ) in nature . If you suspect you have anxiety disorder, drink 3 cups of chamomile tea a day. This should calm the nervousness, rumination and fretting over past events.
Well, that someone could be a good friend, or your life partner, or your sibling. When our heart is overburdened with feelings of guilt, or remorse, or something which we do not want to face, anxiety creeps in. Talking to a friend and blurting out what you feel inside is a great way to relieve the burden. This should relieve the anxiety attack.
Many times, anxiety strikes a person when he or she is outside. There, one hardly has any home remedies to control the anxiety attack. This can happen in a subway, on high towers, in fast trains, on a flight etc. Use your brain to control and flex every muscle group one by one.Target the neck, then the biceps, forearm muscles, chest muscles, abs, hamstring, calf and then the fingers of hands and legs. This provides a sense of consciousness and alertness which can relieve an anxiety attack quickly.Anxiety often worsens when the person caves into it, allowing the mind to dull down. The act of twitching your muscles with the mind boosts alertness, thus driving anxiety away.
Nutmeg is a spice which is used to produce a powder. Take a teaspoon of nutmeg powder and dissolve it in a full glass of orange juice. Take this only once a day. Nutmeg should not be taken by children and pregnant women. Take it only when you are sure that you have anxiety.
Why it works ?
Nutmeg is well renowned as a psychoactive spice. It has the ability to send a person into a state of “euphoria” if taken in large doses. Nutmeg can promote a feel good factor and relax the mind, allowing it to ease the anxiety. It may also lead to hallucinations. If that happens, you should reduce the dosage to 1/2 tablespoon. The compound myristicin is responsible for many of the effects of nutmeg. 
Why orange juice ?
Well, it tastes good in an orange juice, and one is more likely to enjoy it.
Many people experience relief from anxiety by exercising regularly. It is known that exercise improves mood and well being. This way it contributes to lower anxiety and stress. So, keep doing treadmill exercises, running, jogging, cycling, weight training and any form of exercise or sports that you like.Research has identified that it takes about 20 minutes after finishing the exercise for the effects of exercise to kick in . Some exercises, like running can also lead to a state of euphoria and exhilaration, which counteracts anxiety.
One can dull the negative or anxiety promoting thoughts emerging from the mind by switching on music, radio, watching movies or reading novels. That’s what entertainment is there for.You can watch that newly released comedy movie on direct to video, or do something that calms your spirits. Many mothers knit when they feels anxious.
Use some fresh lavender flowers or artificial lavender scent to calm the mind. Lavender scent has a wonderful, soothing smell. Keep it at close hand. Lavender essential oil, just 2 – 3 drops can be put on a cloth, like handkerchief. One can smell it to get relief from an anxiety attack.
If one suffers an anxiety attack at home, then one can get a hot water bath or a steam bath. This is by far the simplest and highly effective home remedy for an anxiety attack. It relieves strained muscles, dilates blood vessels, heart palpitations ease out and the person overall feels back to normal.
One can learn the art of meditation and use it to calm the anxiety producing feelings. It is a kind of new learning which is very useful in every aspect of life.Now, you just can’t sit at home and meditate just like that. Meditation is separate from relaxation. It is the act of putting your mind to a new realm, making it alert as well as calm at the same time.One needs to learn meditation. These are the varieties of meditation.
- Yoga – this is the ancient Indian technique of restoring health. Yoga details methods to exercise as well as meditate. The point is , join a Yoga class.
- Tai chi – There are many martial art forms, but the meditation part is best in Tai chi. It is a type of martial arts where the warrior pays attention to senses and invisible energies.
This diet is aimed at restoring natural levels of melatonin. It is a hormone that regulates our sleep and wake cycle ( the circadian rhythm ). When this natural cycle is disturbed, mind is not at peace. In fact, the most common cause of melatonin imbalance is waking up all nighters. So, avoid that.Foods that contain melatonin and boost its levels are –
- Brown Rice
These foods help the body to boost its levels of melatonin. As a result, person starts to feel sleepy at the right time, if you create sufficient darkness. This hormone is also called “hormone of darkness” as it is secreted when the lights are out. Normal levels of melatonin allow the brain to calm an anxiety period.
13. Walk In The Park
If you have a park nearby, then it is best to go there. When we release ourselves to Mother Nature, our mind automatically calms down. If you are unable to walk comfortably because of the high pulse, then sit at a bench and relax.
14. Eat something with sugar
When you feel an anxiety attack coming up, eat anything which has sugar in it. This can be sweetened carbonated beverages, chocolate, candies, dessert, pies, bananas, sugarcane, carrots, beetroots and other such things. It works for a lot of people.
Why it works ?
Research points out that hypoglycemia ( low blood sugar ) can trigger an anxiety attack . So, eating something with sugar quickly raises blood sugar levels, preventing the attack. People who are always fatigued should look into hypoglycemia.
15. Deficiencies that lead to anxiety
People who suffer from chronic anxiety episodes should look into nutritional deficiencies. These are the vitamins and minerals which can worsen anxiety. As such, one should make sure that the nutritional requirements (RDI ) of these nutrients are met.
- Vitamin B6
16. Herbal remedies for anxiety ( Anxiolytic Herbs )
Herbs are very effective in dealing with anxiety. But, they must be taken under supervision of a trained herbalist. Also consult your doctor for interaction of herbs with any other medication that you are taking.
- Valerian – The root of this herb is used for anxiety. It has anxiolytic and tranquilizer effects.
- Passion flower – It is one of the most striking and beautiful flowers to behold. Passion flower is also a wonderful anxiolytic.
- Kava – It is a herb found in Polynesia. Kava has superb anxiolytic effects but it has severe side effects if not taken properly.
- St. John’s Wort – one of the most popular and widely used medicinal herbs used around the world.
- Brahmi – an Indian herb used predominantly in Ayurveda also acts as anxiolytic.
- Lemon balm is also used for relieving anxiety. It is taken in the form of herbal tea.
- Anxiety in children – When we are children, there can be anxieties about similar issues in many children. One of them is the fear of losing your parents. Many children are anxious about their body shape.
- Social anxiety – People who suffer from this anxiety are quite uncomfortable in the presence of people. They tend to be introverts, but loneliness can drive them into depression.
- Dog separation anxiety – This is an anxiety disorder which affects dogs. They tend to behave disruptive and destructive when their owners leave them for a long period of time, alone.
- Sleep anxiety – This is very common anxiety. It affects people when they suffer from conditions like insomnia, nasal congestion, headaches and other conditions that affect sleep. When you try too hard to fall asleep, this anxiety occurs.
- Stranger anxiety – In this condition, toddlers, kids and even adults can experience anxiety when meeting strangers.
2. Evaluation of the anxiolytic properties of myristicin, a component of nutmeg, in the male Sprague-Dawley rat.Leiter E, Hitchcock G, Godwin S, Johnson M, Sedgwick W, Jones W, McCall S, Ceremuga TE
3. Effects of Exercise and Physical Activity on Anxiety. Elizabeth Anderson and Geetha Shivakumar
4. Equating Anxiety and Low Blood Sugar. Mayer B. Davidson