Elderly people are often troubled with occasional arthritis symptoms. But, some people develop arthritis and then it can make life really miserable. In fact, arthritis is so prevalent that it affects nearly every organism on earth, including reptiles and amphibians. There are many types of arthritis – rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis and even brought on by psoriasis. One can improve joint movement, flexibility and reduce pain using these home remedies. One should keep them handy and use them regularly at the first signs of arthritis and afterwards. Early application can really curb arthritis.
The key to treating ( or managing ) arthritis at home is to never lose hope. It is very common for people to restrict their movement when they suffer from any kind of arthritis. However, it is important to keep the body geared and working during this stage. One of the simplest and best exercise is walking.
The general symptoms of arthritis are : 
- Sharp pain in the joint.
- Redness, swelling and signs of inflammation.
- Reduced movement in the joint.
- The joint feels warm.
- This is accompanied by weakness.
Home remedies may not be able to cure arthritis, but they can significantly reduce the symptoms, that is pain, inflammation and mobility.
( Photo Courtesy: handarmdoc )
Arthritis is an inflammatory condition. To get over it, one has to take lots of anti-inflammatory nutrients. Use these powerful natural remedies for relieving arthritis pain.
1. Pineapple Juice
One of the best juices for better joint health is pineapple. It has got an enzyme called bromelain, which is powerful anti-inflammatory. It reduces inflammation in the synovial fluid which cushions the joints, thus providing relief from arthritis. Drink 3 – 4 glasses of pineapple juice each day. Within a month, there should be considerable relief from arthritis pain, whether it is in the hands or knees or feet.
Besides the juice, one can also apply pineapple topically. Soak your arthritic joint in crushed pineapple. It acts on the joint and reduces inflammation. Try this everyday and hope this helps.
2. Cayenne pepper home-made cream ( Capsaicin )
Research has identified that capsaicin from cayenne pepper has the ability to reduce pain of arthritis . You can get a cream containing capsaicin and apply on the joint. Better still, add some cayenne pepper powder to any gentle skin cream ( like made from beeswax ). Just add 1 – 2 tablespoon of cayenne pepper to the cream mixture. Use this homemade cream on the joint suffering from arthritis. Cayenne pepper does provide only temporary relief.
3. Vapor Rub
Try rubbing vapor rub on the painful joint. It exerts a numbing effect, which dulls the sensation of pain for some time. Vapor rub is good for arthritis pain and provides significant relief. It is simple and easily available.
4. Salmon Oil
Arthritis can be relieved to a great extent by taking salmon oil. It is the oil taken from salmon fish which is very high in omega – 3 fatty acids. Omega – 3 is highly anti-inflammatory nutrient. It reduces inflammation all over the body, known as systemic inflammation, due to any reason. Therefore, salmon fish is excellent for any inflammatory condition, like arthritis, psoriasis, acne etc. Salmon oil has one of the highest anti-inflammatory power among all foods, much higher than many other vegan and non vegan foods. Other sources of omega – 3 fatty acids are also very helpful in arthritis. These are some foods rich in omega -3.
- Flaxseeds – They have even higher concentration of omega – 3, but they are not metabolised as effectively as salmon.
- Canola oil
Also known as cactus fruit, this fruit has recently been identified to be strongly inflammatory. It is edible. You can take this fruit, just like any other fruit. However, to be on the safe side, avoid using it while taking any medication. Not much is known about its interaction with medication, but this fruit does show promise. Stay updated on research regarding this fruit and use it for relief from arthritis.
There is some anecdotal evidence that drinking lemon juice may help with arthritis. To get any significant benefit, drink the juice of at least 10 lemons each day, consistently. The juice can also be taken diluted, in warm water. This way it acts as a liver detox, if taken early morning. Lemon juice is a good source of citric acid, Vitamin C and many other flavonoids ( if you juice it with the rind ).
Eating cherries regularly reduces pain due to inflammation in the joints. This fact helps many people in curbing their arthritic pain using natural remedies. Plus, one gets all the health benefits which cherries provide. They are delicious. Cherries are a natural analgesic ( pain reliever ). This is due to the presence of special anthocyanins in cherries, which lend them their characteristic color. Eating a bowl full of cherries can make a huge difference in the intensity of pain felt due to arthritis. Cherry juice is also good for this purpose. Similar, but slightly feeble effect is also experienced by drinking grape juice.
8. Turmeric ( The best natural remedy for any kind of arthritis )
It is a strong anti-inflammatory spice that is commonly used in Indian cuisine. One can take turmeric in two ways.
- Method no. 1 : Dissolve 1 tablespoon turmeric powder in warm milk and then drink it before going to bed.
- Method no. 2 : Apply a paste of turmeric and lemon on the painful joint and relax. The soothing properties of turmeric relieve inflammation directly by healing through the skin.
- Method no. 3 : Apply a paste of turmeric with sandalwood. It is cooling in nature and provides relief from the burning sensation that accompanies pain in arthritis. The cooling effect is due to sandalwood.
Many people have gotten relief from arthritis pain by eliminating one or both of these substances. They seem to aggravate, or trigger the arthritic pain. More research is needed to find out how it actually works out.
- Sugar – Avoid eating foods that contain artificial sugar, sweetener ( aspartame ).
- Dairy – In most cases, it is milk that causes all the problems. Rest other dairy products generally cause no problem, or little issues, if at all. So, try taking milk out of your diet and monitor the pain intensity.
ACV is the champion among all natural substances because of the versatility of this nutrient. It is also helpful in arthritis. This is how to use it.
ACV ( with the mother )
Honey ( organic is preferred )
- Directions / How to use
Warm 1 glass of water. Add 1 teaspoon of honey and 1 tablespoon of ACV. Dissolve them well and then drink this solution.
- Why it works ?
ACV just works for many people, so it is worth trying.
11. Castor Oil
For massaging the joints, castor oil is excellent. It is a powerful pain reliever, used to relieve pain anywhere on the skin. Best way to apply castor oil is not through massage, but in the form of a pack. How to make Castor Oil Pack for arthritic joint.
Castor oil ( cold pressed, organic and unfiltered ) This is difficult to obtain, but that is what we need
- Directions / How to use
Warm castor oil till it is quite above the skin temperature, but it should not be very hot. Dip suitable volume of wool in castor oil. Squeeze it to drain out excess oil. Now, place it on the inflamed joint. Bandage it with cotton cloth. Avoid polythene, as it is harmful for skin.
Keep it overnight. The bandage should be tight enough for the wool to be pressed against the skin.
- Why it works ?
Castor oil is analgesic and anti-inflammatory. Wool ensures that it is released slowly as and when there is lack of it. Because of the continuous absorption of castor oil inside the skin, joint inflammation reduces. One can feel some relief after the first treatment itself, which is quite rare in arthritic condition.
12. Get the vitamins and minerals
It is important to have certain foods in diet that are very nutritious. It becomes even more important as the person ages, because the efficiency of digestive system reduces, although the requirements of body increase. Make sure to have these foods in diet.
- Spinach – very nutritious and common vegetable.
- Moringa – also known as drumstick. It is even more nutritious than spinach.
- Alfalfa – very powerful vegetable with high amounts of many minerals and vitamins
- Wheat germ – You may surprised by the nutrient quality of wheat germ
- Wheat grass juice – Taking an ounce of wheat grass juice provides more vitamins and minerals that most other foods can. It is really the ultimate in nutrition.
14. Epsom salt bath
Prepare bath water and add Epsom salt to it. Then let it dissolve and lie down in this water. It heals the affected joints and also provides relief from stress and discomfort caused by constant pain.
The seeds of sesame are highly nutritious and they taste nice. One can add them to almost any food, including breads, burgers, cakes and other confectionery. It provides relief from arthritis pain. Consume a handful of sesame seeds in the morning .
16. Mustard oil
It is one of the best rheumatic oils is mustard oil. It has been used since ancient times for relieving arthritis pain. Apply organic mustard oil to arthritic joint and massage it into the skin. Do not wash off this oil. Within a few days, one can notice an improvement in the pain and difficulty in movement.
Herbal remedies for arthritis
Now, let us explore some herbal remedies for arthritis which have been used in the past, and still used in some places.
- Juniper bath : Juniper is a tree which produces edible berries which taste like black pepper. It is used to make a herbal bath which can relieve arthritis pain.
- Green gram : Eat a bowl full of sprouted green gram ( mung bean ) in the morning. This is nutritious breakfast which helps with arthritis.
- Mustard oil is applied directly to the painful joint as a rheumatic oil. It helps in lowering the pain.
- Blackcurrant fruits is also powerful in relieving the pain to some extent.
Besides this, eat celery as it helps the body to rebuild tissue. One can also take cayenne pepper to naturally increase blood flow in the body. In free time, massage the joint with olive oil to keep the skin healthy and strong. These remedies can relieve pain due to arthritis in hands, fingers, knuckles, knee, hips and practically any other joint in the body. If the arthritis is affecting a dog or a cat, then one should consult a veterinary doctor before using any of the above remedies.Arthritis is not easy to overcome, but it can be relieved to a great extent. There are many more herbal remedies for arthritis from ancient civilizations and their medicinal texts. Some of them are pretty awkward. In the tribes of Amazon rainforest, they use ants. These ants are made to bite the arthritic joint, which actually reduces inflammation in the joint. Native Americans used stinging nettle to strike the painful joint. The prickles feel very painful when they strike, but later on the pain subsides.
Arthritis can be relieved significantly if its symptoms are recognized early on. One should really pay attention to the body’s signs as this condition gets worse with time.
1. Arthritis. NHS
2. Treatment of arthritis with topical capsaicin: a double-blind trial.Deal CL1, Schnitzer TJ, Lipstein E, Seibold JR, Stevens RM, Levy MD, Albert D, Renold F
3. urmeric extracts containing curcuminoids prevent experimental rheumatoid arthritis. Funk JL1, Oyarzo JN, Frye JB, Chen G, Lantz RC, Jolad SD, Sólyom AM, Timmermann BN