There are many remedies which control and lessen the wheezing and difficulty in breathing during an asthma attack. This can be a significant relief from the trouble of an asthma attack. Many times it happens that one does not have his or her asthma inhaler and this rings the bells of trouble. In that case, simple remedies can assist for a long period of time, at least until medical help arrives. Asthma is a serious health condition. In severe cases, it can very quickly turn fatal. So, no meddling around with this disease or condition. Asthma is not yet clearly understood, in fact we hardly know why it even happens. But, it is dangerous, so one should keep his or her medication at hand.
The signs of mild asthma are wheezing sound ( a characteristic dry whistling sound produced from the lungs ) and shortness of breath. So much for mild asthma. But, when an asthma attack come up, things take a bad turn. The shortness of breath then turns into “catching for breath”. The person clamors for breath, making effort for it. The lungs feel like they will fall into spasm. Airways are tight and there is arrhythmic breathing. It is fast, shallow and involuntary. With each passing breath, the lungs seem like they are further constricted and finally, your breath is way to shallow. Blood oxygen levels drop sharply at this point and person may pass out. This should be avoided at all costs, trying all methods to keep the bronchioles open. Asthma can quickly turn deadly, so one should always rely on medication. Home remedies can only have limited effect during an asthma attack.
Asthma sufferers think that they have to live with it. However, home remedies and herbal remedies can completely cure a person of asthma. Only thing is that one has to regularly do the natural treatment.
Down below are mentioned home remedies to relieve a mild asthma attack. Then there are some natural cures for asthma in the long run.Asthma is not easy to get over, but it is a tremendous achievement if one does. It is not an incurable condition, despite the fact that is highly discomforting and psychologically painful.
( Photo Courtesy: pgautier )
Home remedies for asthma attack
1. Dark Black Coffee ( without the milk )
Make a cup of strong coffee which has caffeine in it ( that is it should not be decaffeinated ). Do not use milk to make it. Drink this coffee and inhale its wonderful aroma. This simple remedy provides relief from an attack.
- Directions / How to use
Prepare an expresso style coffee drink. When the coffee is prepared, inhale its vapors. Then drink the coffee, slowly. When the coffee is finished, you can feel some relief from the asthma attack. Lungs are relaxed and bronchioles widen to allow air to go freely. Wheezing should also be reduced.
- Why it works ?
Caffeine in coffee is a natural bronchodilator ( it widens the bronchial tubes ) . This is what most asthma inhalers do.
2. Drink strong black tea
Any form of tea also some amount of caffeine, although much less than coffee. Frequent consumption of tea can also have the same effect as coffee and can help in relieving the symptoms of asthma. Preparing a strong black tea.
- Take 2 black tea bags
Water ( about 500 ml )
- Directions / How to make
Cut open the tea bags and pour tea inside the kettle. Fill up with 1/2 litre water and then boil it repeatedly till it remains about 200 ml. This is your strong black tea. Drink this tea slowly and slightly warm. It can fend off an asthma attack by dilating the air passages. Tea has been identified to relieve asthma. 
3. Relax Your Belly
This is a modern version of some ancient Ayurveda practice. It is called belly breathing. When an asthma attack is building up, we may complicate it by pumping out our lungs and forcing air with even greater velocity. Instead, try this. Relax your belly. Loosen the tight abs and let your belly move out a bit. Relax the lungs. Then breathe slowly and shallowly from the belly. Let your belly move in and out instead of the lungs. This simple technique can prevent an asthma attack. However, this may not work in a strong attack episode.
It is a remarkable ingredient in numerous remedies. Honey also helps in asthma . Take 2 – 3 tablespoon of honey and drink water over it. Honey is a demulcent ( it coats the throat ). It is a strong upper respiratory tonic. Honey can help in asthma attack in the following ways.
- It relieves coughing asthma by suppressing the cough mechanism.
- It is a respiratory tonic, strengthening your breathing mechanism.
When you feel an asthma attack may be coming up, head for the shower. Start taking a hot shower. Close the ventilator and allow steam to build up. Inhaling this warm steam is quite relaxing for the entire body. It prevents spasm in the lung muscles and keeps attack away. After the shower, go to sleep if you can. While sleeping, our breathing mechanism changes and asthma attack can subside.
- Grapes tone the respiratory system muscles and walls of bronchi.
- They are mild expectorant, cutting off any phlegm sticking to lung tubes.
- Grapes have quercetin, which acts as bronchodilator.
- Red grapes are very high in Resveratrol ( you’ve probably heard of it before ). Resveratrol has been identified in studies to have anti-asthmatic effects. 
So, you see in how many red grapes can help in managing an asthma attack. How much juice should you drink ?Well, one should drink about 2 glasses of red grape juice over the course of an hour, sipping slowly and enjoying the juice. 2 glasses per day taken regularly can significantly improve respiratory health.
7. Ginger Tea
Prepare a strong ginger tea by adding 2 inch thick pieces of ginger to a cup of boiling water. This tea should feel warm, spicy and heating for the entire body. Ginger tea is especially helpful for people suffering from exercise induced asthma which is often worse during cold, especially when you have inhaled very cold wind. Ginger warms up the body for a long period, thins the blood and makes oxygen transport more efficient. These are the only few home remedies that work in relieving an asthma attack when it comes. So, if you are caught off guard, without your inhaler, quickly perform these remedies.
How to get rid of asthma for life ?
You can fend off attacks after attacks of asthma, but sooner or later, it is going to put you under stress. Person may start feeling that he or she has to live with it. Asthma severely affects quality of life. That is why, it is important to get rid of it. What you need ?
- Strong determination.
- Desire to experiment
- Belief in natural substances.
- Hard work
1. Eucalyptus Oil ( excellent bronchodilator )
One can inhale the vapors of eucalyptus oil by putting a few drops of this oil in water that is producing steam. NOTE : Never use eucalyptus oil during an asthma attack, use it at a time of the day when you are fine. Eucalyptus oil helps in asthma but not during an attack. It should not be taken by pregnant women, nor should it be used for infants. Taking steam from eucalyptus essential oil reduces inflammation at the internal walls of bronchioles. This widens the air passage, allowing air to flow very well.
2. Eating onion
People who suffer from asthma can get relief by eating onions daily. One can take it in salad and in pickled form. Onions relieve the asthmatic condition, thus leading less frequent and less severe attacks. Eat freshly cut onions in salad. You can also take a 15 ml juice shot of onion. It has high levels of quercetin, which is bronchodilator and strongly anti-inflammatory . NOTE : Do not eat pickled onion as it can worsen or exacerbate asthma . Just fresh onions.
3. Taking sunlight
One can take a bit of sunlight during the day and warm up the skin. It helps the body in synthesizing Vitamin D. This remedy can help adults and kids a lot. Asthma affects many children worldwide. This remedy can help because it warms the skin and also leads to synthesis of an important vitamin in the body. There is some connection between low Vitamin D levels and susceptibility of asthma . Sunlight is great for Vitamin D synthesis. If you can take early morning sunshine, it is even better as it benefits your liver. Taking sunlight regularly can tan you, but it rejuvenates the body. It can also relieve cold induced asthma.
Medical studies indicate that ginger can relieve the problematic symptoms of asthma. It is as strong a bronchodilator as some of the inhaler medication out there. So, how to get ginger in your life ?
- Eat ginger oatmeal, with just more ginger in them.
- Change your bread for ginger bread. It is tastier and healthier.
- Drink 1 cup ginger tea every day, without fail.
- Drink ginger ale if you have digestion problems.
This simple introduction of ginger can take your asthma away. It may take at least 2 months for preliminary effects to show up. Your asthma attacks would be less severe, and many times, you may not need to your inhaler.
Some people have recommended this simple juice as the “cure” for asthma. Well, there is no harm in trying. Drink 1 glass beet juice everyday. Beets are very powerful cleanser. They increase the oxygen carrying capacity of RBC ( red blood cells ) by 400 %. So, each and every one of your RBC is now carrying tremendously more oxygen to the cells. This tells the lungs to relax, as they are told by brain that cells are receiving enough oxygen. You body is better able to transport the “life-giving” oxygen to cells, and lungs have no issue with it. Since the lungs are relaxed, there is less chance of muscular spasm leading to asthma.
8. Troubleshoot Your House
This springs up in between, but it highly important.There are many things in our house which make us susceptible to asthma attacks. It is not that asthma is caused by them, but they provoke asthma to create an attack. These are some of the things which do not go well with our alveoli ( our air sacs )
- Mold. It is a colony of fungus, often forming in dark, moist, sans sunlight areas of house. Mold can trigger asthma attacks and it is capable of making you seriously ill. Get rid of any mold !
- Vinyl material in heat prone areas. Vinyl is fine until it is cool. But, in the kitchen and bathroom, vinyl flooring or curtains or tiles can emit a very disgusting smell. This smell is hated by our lungs and they may go into contraction.
- Cool mist humidifier. A humidifier is helpful but not the cool mist one. Get a regular humidifier without the cooling in it. During asthma, you need environment to be slightly warm and pleasant.
- Find and get rid of allergens in the house. Allergy is a strong trigger for asthma. This disease is very common in people who suffer from allergic rhinitis.
- Dust and other such fine material.
- Eat raw tomatoes in salad.
- Drink tomato soup.
- Eat sugar free ketchup. You can prepare your tomato sauce at home.
- Use sun dried tomatoes as spice. They taste lovely !
So, if your athletic goals have been bogged down by exercise induced asthma, time to take lots of tomatoes.
12. Taking A Clove of Garlic Daily
Garlic may not be able to cure asthma, but it really helps in curbing the symptoms. Garlic is an all around body tonic and it should be in your diet. It boosts the immune system, so that it responds better to allergens, pathogens and other environmental toxins.
Asthma was prevalent in the ancient times too. It is logical that people living in those times figured out excellent cure for asthma. These cures however , make use of herbs which are not safe to be taken without guidance and supervision of a trained herbalist.
- Mustard seeds : Make a paste of mustard seeds. Mix some camphor in it and apply it on the chest. Although this remedy may help with asthma, it works only when performed under the guidance of a registered herbal practitioner. Camphor can have many dangerous side effects and this remedy should not be attempted at home.
- Turmeric in warm milk : This is a simple Ayurvedic remedy for asthma.
- Datura : This plant is very common in India. Datura is a small fruit with prickles all around it. Its biological name is Datura Stramonium. It has been used as an Asthma cure for centuries. Inhaling its vapors in believed to completely cure Asthma.
- Skunk Cabbage : This herb is a Native American cure for asthma. Skunk cabbage has ability to stop a spasm.
- Lobelia : This celebrated herb is a mainstay of Native American herbal medicine. It is helpful in Asthma and taken by many people.
- Holy Basil : When combined with honey and a small piece of ginger, it forms a herbal remedy for asthma.
- Avoid giving them packed food and keep them on a natural diet. This eliminated many chemicals from their diet, reducing burden on system to clean away toxins.
- If you are giving the cat fish to eat, make sure it does not have mercury contamination.
- Avoid giving pets food in aluminium containers.
- Take pets to a room where fireplace air cannot reach. They may be allergic to fumes from fire.
- Avoid using aerosols close to pets. This includes deodorants, perfumes and other cleansing chemicals. Their lungs may be unable to take it, triggering an asthma attack.
2. Green tea (Camelia sinensis) mediated suppression of IgE production by peripheral blood mononuclear cells of allergic asthmatic humans.Wu SY, Silverberg JI, Joks R, Durkin HG, Smith-Norowitz TA
3. Improved treatment of Asthma by using natural sources of antioxidants. Nguyen Van Toan and Tran Thi Hanh
4. Anti-inflammatory and anti-asthmatic effects of resveratrol, a polyphenolic stilbene, in a mouse model of allergic asthma.Lee M, Kim S, Kwon OK, Oh SR, Lee HK, Ahn K.
5. Antiasthmatic effects of onions. Inhibition of platelet-activating factor-induced bronchial obstruction by onion oils.Dorsch W, Ettl M, Hein G, Scheftner P, Weber J, Bayer T, Wagner H
6. Pickled onion-induced asthma: a model of sulfite-sensitive asthma?Gastaminza G, Quirce S, Torres M, Tabar A, Echechipía S, Muñoz D, Fernández de Corres L.
7. Vitamin D, the immune system and asthma. Nancy E Lange, MD, MPH, Augusto Litonjua, MD, MPH, […], and Scott Weiss, MD