Numerous people battle dry scalp conditions to maintain healthy hair . This kind of dry scalp is not caused by dandruff but a body process. It is therefore a kind of chronic condition. Dry scalp can be brought on by wrong habits or by lack of nutrients in the scalp skin. These are some ways to tackle this frustrating condition.
Dry scalp condition leads to white, flaky, crusty deposits on the scalp. It can also lead to dandruff. The hair too look devoid of moisture. Scalp skin is more prone to inflammation and irritation. If there is burning sensation and stinginess, then you might be suffering from what is known as sensitive scalp. 
( Photo Courtesy: phuthinhco )
Home remedies for dry scalp condition.
1. Use coconut oil on the scalp as a massage before going to bed. Coconut oil is known to penetrate deep into the middle layer of the skin. As such it supplies skin with some important nutrients as an external source. Next morning, one can rinse it off with shampoo.
Natural oils are great for relieving dryness of scalp. One can use oils like avocado oil, amla ( Indian gooseberry ) oil, jojoba oil, almond oil and a few more. Among all of the above , perhaps the most notable one is jojoba oil. This is an excellent hair oil which helps in almost every hair and scalp problem. Use a hair oil regularly after cleansing the scalp with a shampoo.
2. Lemon juice to wash the scalp
If you feel the scalp is not getting cleaned effectively with shampoo and water, use lemon juice to wash the scalp. It effectively takes away all the dead skin cells, exposed new and healthy scalp skin which irritates or itches much less. Lemon is also an effective anti microbial substance so it can curb any fungal infection of the scalp.
3. Basil leaves wash
Boil some basil leaves in water. Now, strain this liquid and cool it. Apply this on the scalp. It promotes healing of broken skin and may correct the problem that is causing broken, chapped skin.
4.Get Some Exercise
Perform workout everyday to sweat the body. This leads to improved functioning and provides better circulation all over. As a result, the oil producing glands can become more active and produce the adequate amount of oil to keep the scalp and hair moisturized.
5. Wear A Cap
Harsh weather often leads to dry scalp condition. Avoid exposing your scalp to extremely cold, dry or hot weather. One can pick from a variety of hats, beanies and caps.
6. Aloe Vera gel or juice
Apply either the juice of aloe Vera or its gel. The gel is much more hydrating but it is sticky. Keep the gel on the scalp skin for about 10 minutes and then wash it off. This soothes irritated skin and takes away dead skin cells.
7. Eating foods rich in B vitamins
Eat more bananas, figs, eggs, fish and meat to get more Vitamin B ( all types ).
8. Get more Omega – 3 fats in diet
Foods rich in omega – 3 fatty acids improve the condition of skin. Eat foods like almonds, flaxseeds, chia seeds, walnuts and many other seeds and nuts. They are excellent for dry scalp and dryness of the skin in general.
- Hibiscus : Get some red hibiscus flowers and put them in water. Boil the water and strain the liquid. Cool it quickly and then apply it on the scalp as a wash. This has a cooling effect on the scalp.
- Bhringraj : This herb is used in Ayurveda for healthier scalp and hair. Its biological name is Eclipta alba. It is available in the form of oil. After applying this oil on the scalp, one should rinse the scalp.
- Do not apply shampoo very often. It can cause excessive dryness of the scalp. 
- Do not use hot items on the scalp often, like iron roller, hair dryer or steam.
- Avoid using a plethora of hair care products. Even if one has to use some products, avoid letting them reach the scalp. Many people use products to eliminate the frizz in hair. For that purpose, use the product only on the hair shafts and not such that the spray gets to the scalp.
1. Sensitive Scalp. Kiran Godse and Vijay Zawar
2. Essentials of Hair Care often Neglected: Hair Cleansing. Zoe D Draelos