Many people are unable to get a good night’s sleep. Lack of sleep deteriorates health continuously. A lot of people sleep for less than 6 hours a night on a regular basis just because they don’t fall asleep quickly. Sleep deprivation can lead to disorders like insomnia. It may not be as worse as insomnia, but it can lead to serious health issues. These are all initial symptoms of insomnia and it is better to stop it in its tracks.
Sleep deprivation can lead to whole lot of problems. Once you lose on sleep, the mind becomes slow and sluggish. Responses are not that fast. There may be weakness, lethargy, headache and aggravation of any body pain. Chronic lack of sleep may also increase the chances of chronic inflammatory diseases and even heart disease. 
( Photo Courtesy: aigle_dore )
Home remedies for sleep . Simple remedies to get a good night’s sleep :
1. Avoid taking coffee : Many people take coffee to stay awake for some hours. It boosts alertness. However, this soon turns into a habit and makes the person wanting coffee every now and again. Coffee soon becomes a hindrance in falling sleep. To be able to sleep nicely, it is important to get rid of coffee. Avoid drinking coffee in the night time. When this is done, it make the biggest difference in helping one sleep on time and thus get more hours of sleep.
2. Chamomile tea : This tea is worldwide reputed to help with sleep. It calms the body and mind and helps one to sleep sound and happy. This is a much better choice than coffee late at night.
3. Warm water bath
Take a bath before going to bed. It relaxes the body and provide enough relaxation that the person is able to sleep quickly.
4. Spend more time with family and kids
It improves the mood and makes the mind at ease. In fact, it is the mind which stops one from sleep even though the body is completely exhausted. So, when the mind is at ease and the stream of thoughts dull a little, then the person is able to sleep in a quick time.
5. Take respite in dreams
This is a psychological technique to get sleep quickly. In this, the person wishes to go to sleep because he or she wants to dream about something. Like, traveling or doing something. This makes the brain to induce the sensation of sleepiness and the person falls asleep. However, this may not work for everyone.
6. Read something
This is a simple and effective remedy for falling asleep quickly. Take time to read some novel or something that you have been longing to read. If you are exhausted, after a few minutes you should start feeling sleepy.
7. Eat a heavy meal at night
This is a nice remedy for getting sleep. Eat some delicious thing at dinner. This helps to eat more. This meal should be enough to feel quite full, but not that much that it causes stomach troubles like indigestion or bloating.
2. Preliminary examination of the efficacy and safety of a standardized chamomile extract for chronic primary insomnia: A randomized placebo-controlled pilot study. Suzanna M Zick, Benjamin D Wright, […], and J Todd Arnedt